Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Those 9 Deadly Words
I always seem to forget. I always have an immidiate attraction but then on the third day I suddenly remember, wait, hold on, let's think this through now. It's always that third day when I realize why I like taking things slowly. I didn't really like Otter so much today, plus she said the "9 Deadly Words." I've told some of you of these 9 deadly words, these 9 words can kill my attraction to someone in a heart beat. I always know when they're coming too, I see it right before they say it because there's a very specific look that they give off when saying it, or preparing to. I went over to her place and then asked if she wanted to watch a movie, she said she did, so I got the ol' Shaolin Soccer and told her it was Chinese, and then she said it, "Ohhh, you mean I have to read this movie?" When she said that I literally clutched my chest and fell to the ground groaning. She thought it was funny, but I finally made her watch it, she liked it quite a bit, but not enough to not say, "It would have been better in English." Another clutch to the heart. I seriously do not understand these sentiments. It doesn't make sense to me. Plus then afterwards she was being dumb and I remembered that I always fall in love too quickly without thinking, so I once again went back to my introversion and happily played video games after she left. Yay for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Perhaps she hasn't had enough exposure. Watch it again with her in English, so that she can see how much worse it is that way. It takes a while to get used to subtitled movies, and she may yet see the light. Or at least I hope so... because they generally are much better in the original language with subtitles.
.
All that many people know about reading subtitles is what their ignorant cousin Jethro has told them about Crouching Tiger (Dumb cause people fly and you have to read a lot.)
Shaolin Soccer seems a terrific way to ease people in though.
By the way, I've bumped into your profile a few times now and I have to say that you have one of the nicest sets of Favorite Movies I've ever seen.
Maybe have her visit this website:
http://www.winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html#ha
If she can appreciate how bad the translation from English to Chinese to English is, maybe she can appreciate why movies are better in their original languages. Without having to resort to the fact that their mouths rarely--if ever--move right.
I should warn you, it (the English subtitles part) contains a few swear words.
It's a sad day when people are that inexperienced with relatively normal levels of culture. I suggest giving her a chance...have her watch something else and see if she gets used to it! Not only are movies better in their original languages, but books as well...which makes me wonder why more people don't attempt to speak as many languages as possible...the least we can do is appreciate certain arts and artists in their native language! Hope the third day feeling passes quickly and you return to the second day high!
Post a Comment