I did it. I finally beat Final Fantasy One. Aren't you proud of me? So I can no longer say I haven't beaten a game that has plagued me for a large portion of my life.
I went to institute for the first time yesterday. The title was something about dating, but it was all about why celestial marriage is important. Now sure I got myself into it by actually going and listening to it, but I wasn't really impressed. He did the usual talk about celestial marriage, made sure to add in the "look at the movies you watch, they're all garbage" line and my family is great. He also used the "If I did it anyone can do it" line, and he really didn't look all that bad. When people use that line I want them to look ugly and have some sort of physical defect, then I'll know there really is some glimmer of hope for someone like me.
The best parts of the whole thing though were some of the people I went with. Now I'm not a big dating kind of guy. I dated like crazy in high school with no luck. I did it because my friends made me feel bad if I didn't do it, because "It's a guys obligation to take a girl out to a dance." (note: I'm from Utah where we have about 9 date dances a year) So I did it, I took out girls and all I got in return was a whole lot of wasted money and a bunch of girls I don't talk to anymore. So then when I went to college my freshman year, I tried the whole hanging out instead of dating and got a lot further and actually had some semi-relationships that were good. So then I come back from a mission with no real desire to date because I'm 0 for like 33 and I can't find anyone that is compatible with me. So I've been on two dates since coming home, both of which didn't go so well. So why should I feel bad about not asking some girl on a date who is going to talk to me in 6 months anyways?
So anyways back to the people I came with, I turned to one of them and said, "Hmmm, I don't knwo if I should be here because I don't date." He said, "Well then this is for you, so you'll learn something about why you should." So I replied to him with, "Well what if I don't heed his council." I have never seen anyone give me a look of "You are so going to hell" then the one he gave me right there. Not to mention the fact that Elder Oaks gave a CES fireside telling guys to "Stop hanging out, and go on more dates." Now what does that do for me? Now I can't hang out to get to know girls, now my only recourse at getting to know a girl is to spend money on her when I already don't have any money myself. I know that I sound like an awful person in the eyes of most BYU students by saying that I don't want to heed the council of Elder Oaks, but you know what? It's just not my time right now. Right now I'm a very careful person, I've had my heart broken, I've spent a lot of money on girls who are married to someone much cuter then I, I don't have any money now, and I'm an incedibly complex person who needs to find someone who fits very selective criteria. So pardon me girls of the world if I won't date you because you expect me to, I'm going to wait until my time is right.
There's my rant for the day.
Ha, and I thought I was only going to write about beating Final Fantasy One, which was awesome by the way!
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I don't think anyone should be urged to date if the time isn't right for them, personally. You're doing the right thing by not dating if you don't want to right now. No great relationship ever came to be out of force. :)
Post a Comment