Wednesday, May 18, 2005

IMDB top 250

In an attempt, I'm going to go over the imdb's top 250 movies of all time. You can find that here http://www.imdb.com/chart/top I'm going to attempt to see all the movies on the list, minus a couple like Clockwork Orange. Now I know the list is constantly changing but I'll try and see all of them anyways. And I'll give a little feedback on what I thought of the movie. So to start it off let's start with the first twenty five. If I haven't seen the movie I'll edit it in later when I have seen it and update later on when it's changed.

1. The Godfather - I saw this movie about 2 weeks before going on my mission. I've only seen it once. I didn't think it was the greatest movie of all time, but it was fairly good, definatly a four star movie (my rating system is out of four stars) I wouldn't put it on my list of recommends for most people but it was a good movie.

2. The Shawshank Redemption - I have never actually seen the original cut of this movie, I've only seen it on TNT with commercials so I can't fuilly appriciate it's brilliance. That said this is an amazingly brilliant movie, definatly 4 stars and I do have it on my list of movies I need to see again, this time uncut.

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Part 3 of the amazing saga. I have only seen this one extended, so I don't know what was cut out, but I didn't feel like it was a 4 hour movie. The thrilling conclusion to the story was definatly a must see. 4 stars.

4. The Godfather: Part II - Have not seen it

5. Shichinin no samurai (Seven Samurai) - Have not seen it, but I do own it

6. Schindler's List - Haven't seen it

7. Casablanca - Loved this movie, one of the best ever. It's been about 4 years since I've seen it but it's definatly in my memory. 4 stars.

8. Star Wars: A New Hope - I'm not as big a star wars fan as everyone else, however this movie was quite amazing for when it was made. A good way to kick off a good story. 3 1/2 stars

9. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Definatly the second best of the three movies, I have not yet seen the extended version, but it did inspire me to read the first book. 4 stars

10. Pulp Fiction - I love this movie. Such a twisting movie that left me feeling satisfied. Each character is done so well. Definalty a must see. 4 stars.

11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Haven't seen it

12. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Again, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan in the bunch, however this one I'd say is my favorite, with the surprise ending that not even the cast and crew knew about until it was shown in the theater, quite good. 3 1/2 stars

13. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - I've only seen the extended version of this one and it did not end, much too long for my tastes. I enjoy long movies but this one really did not need to be so long and have so much fluff in the middle. It took me a long time to watch the third one because this one was so much of a dissappointment for me. 3 stars

14. Citizen Kane - Still haven't seen it, really odd too, because I've almost seen it about 20 times

15. Rear Window - Just saw this for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It was so amazing, It was probably the most suspenseful movie I've seen in a while. I never usually yell during a movie, but when I yelled, "No!" I surprised myself. Incredibly involving, especially due to the fact it's all in one room, how amazing can a movie be to only be in one room. 4 stars

16. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Is this movie amazing or what? If you haven't seen it yet, Go! See it now! Peter Sellers is magnificent in his three different roles. Kubrick at his finest. 4 stars

17. Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) - First western movie I ever saw. Amazingly captivating. The graveyard scene still sends goosebumps. 4 stars

18. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Honestly I can't rate this one because I don't remember it, it's been nearly 10 years or more since I've seen it.

19. The Usual Suspects - Kevin Spacey. Amazing. Really enjoyed it. 4 stars

20. 12 Angry Men - Wonderfully captivating and amazingly well written story. The story tells it all. 4 stars

21. Cidade de Deus (City of God) - Holy Mackeral! This movie is the best movie I've seen this year, though it was made in 2002 I didn't see it until 3 months ago. I was blown away at how amazing this movie is. The story, The editing, the lighting, the acting, the cinematography. Nothing is lacking in this movie. Definatly in my top 10 of all time. 4 stars.

22. Memento - One of a kind movie. Never seen a movie like it, so well done and so inventive. How someone could come up with this is beyond me. Amazing. 4 stars

23. North by Northwest - Very involving, wonderfully done. 4 stars

24. C'era una volta il West (Once up a Time in the West) - Have not seen it

25. Psycho - Haven't seen it.

A good amount. Thoughts anyone? I'm sure I'll get scathed for my thoughts on Two towers and the star wars movies. Next 25 to come soon.

5 comments:

Jokey Smurf said...

Yeah, I thought the Two Towers was the best of the three. funny. I look forward to the rest of this list.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't seen most of those movies.

I actually liked the first Lord of the Rings the best, but most people seem to prefer the third.

"12 Angry Men" is an excellent movie - I actually bought that one, and I really don't like to buy movies that are just okay.

Obliviocelot said...

Wow, the only one of these movies I've seen is Rear Window. Haha, boy do I lead a sheltered life! RW was a good one, though, I pretty much liked it.

SkyBluePink said...

Out of that list, I've only seen Schindler's List and 12 Angry Jurors. I guess I have more movie watching to do...

Laulau said...

I really want to see 6,7. Loved 22! 10 made me love/appreciate Bruce Willis even more (and everybody else in that movie, too).