Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Regular

I really like being a regular. You know when you go into a deli and the guy behind the desk sees you and says, "Hey, you want your usual?" That is one of the most beautiful lines in the english launguage for me. Not the fact that I go to the place all too often, but that the guy behind the desk whom I don't know has taken the time to remember what my favorite sandwich is. The most recent time that happened was when I was having an IHOP addiction, I came in one day and the guy whom had served me before said, "Hey, you want your usual?" I replied in the affirmative and he indeed did bring out my philly cheese steak with mashed potatoes minus the pickle spear and a dr. pepper. I was impressed. In the same way, I want to be able to get to know the person behind the counter, so that I can come in say, "Hey Jimmy!" "Hey Mr. F, you want your usual?" "You know it Jimmy."

There's a deli in Haverhill Massachusets that I got to this point, it was a really good deli and I knew the guy behind the ocunter from coming in, plus he was running for some sort of political office, so he was extra friendly.

Anyways, I don't really know why I thought about writing about this, I just thought I would, and I really thought I had more... Guess not.

2 comments:

Yarjka said...

That happened to me at Sugar & Spice when the girl behind the counter noticed me as "the guy that gets blue cheese dressing" even though it was, like, a full semester since I had last eaten there.

Anonymous said...

Monotony's a beautiful thing.