Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sanctuary

A man is running away from a lynch mob, with torches and pitchforks and such. We pan out to see another man behind a tree just a bit further in front, he grabs the man as he passes and holds onto his mouth with a shushing motion. The lynch mob runs past and the two of them walk into a house near by.

The scene cuts to inside the house, there are about 10 people inside the house, some are reading others talking to each other, some on laptops, they all stop and look up as the two enter.

The lead man begins to speak

Lead: Brothers and Sisters, we have another for our fold.

They all begin to cheer, the runaway man looks a little sheepish.

Runaway: What is this place?
L: This brother is a sanctuary, a place where you can be safe to form opinions, we all here have the same opinions you do and we won't kill you for them.
R: Really?
L: Yes, we all agree with your ways, and those outside of here, they can't find us in here.
R: This place, it's so beautiful, I never want to leave.
L: It's okay brother, you don't have to, there are few of us here, but we live and die by each other and our opinions. Go ahead, let it out, let it free, say what you want to say, we don't judge you here for it. Go ahead, don't be shy, we all agree with you here.
R: Are you sure?
L: Believe us, you are welcome here.
R: Well, uh, the thing is, I just don't think Joss Wheadon is that good a writer. I mean, Firefly was good and all but everything he does isn't the best thing ever.
L: Yes, let it out.
R: I liked Dr. Horrible sure, but it wasn't the greatest thing on God's green earth. I tried Buffy and haven't liked it, and Dollhouse hasn't really gone anywhere.
L: You see? Here you can say these things.
R: Wow, every time I've tried to say those things I got rocks thrown at me.
L: But here, there are few, but we are strong. Don't worry, you are free now.
R: Thank you. Thank you for saving me.
L: You are loved here.

End

______________
This post is an installment in a continuing series of content coordinated by theme or motif with posts from Enoch Allred of Chiltingham, John Allred of clol Town, Jon Fairbanks of Funkadelic Freestylings of Another Sort, Eli Z. McCormick and Miriam Allred of Modern Revelation!, John D. Moore of Whatnot Studios, Joseph Schlegel of Sour Mayonnaise, Sven Patrick Svensson of Sadness? Euphoria?, William C. Stewart of Chide, Chode, Chidden, and WiL Whitlark of The Real McJesus. This week's theme: 'Sanctuary'.

9 comments:

Ben said...

Word.
CAPTCHA was "books".

Redoubt said...

Lol. Firefly and Dr. Horrible are brilliant, but everything else I've seen by him has been meh.

You could have written this same post about someone not liking Dark Knight.

Stephen Gashler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen Gashler said...

Very funny! I was certain that the society of free opinions was going to ironically brutalize him as he released an especially controversial opinion at the end. The fact that they didn't and it ended so low key was delightful and for whatever reason, funny. I guess postmodernism is now cliche, so normal endings are funny again.

Wiglaf said...

I think Camilla's idea would have worked better. Joss fanaticism really isn't that big.

Ross said...

Amen

Katya said...

Logan - True, but maybe his fans are more violent. ;)

Miriam said...

I don't know. The New Yorker agrees that Joss Whedon fans are "probably more clamorously devoted than [those] of anyone else in the business." I'm going to say good choice, Jon.

John D. Moore said...

If I had to choose between trolling Joss Whedon fanboys and Dark Knight fanboys, I would be paralyzed with indecision, I'm sure. :(