Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Jethro Tull -- Aqualung

This is the first time I've ever really listened to anything by Jethro Tull besides random songs on the radio. The first song, the title track Aqualung I remember from the classic rock station in high school, but having my more refined tastes I find it to be a lot cooler then I remember. Their usage of the extra instruments really appeals to me, most notably the recorders and the flute. The flute in the second song "Cross Eyed Mary" made me quite happy. The impressively haunting song "My God" also had an impressive flute solo. Listening to this album makes me wonder how I completely missed the boat on Jethro Tull. They're a great classic rock band and a dang good prog rock band. This album was quite enjoyable and makes me want to listen to more of Jethro Tull. This one is on a lot of top lists and it deserves it.

****
4/4 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed the imagery that the lyrics invoked in the title track.