Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wednesday: Music Shuffle

So wednesday is the music shuffle day, this is being posted on thursday but only because I came into it late, I would have done it yesterday morning. Basically how this works is I will listen to ten songs on random on my iTunes and comment on each of the songs. If there are versions of the songs online I'll post them for you to hear.

Oh wow, I can't believe that all of them have close to versions on the net. Only the String Cheese one is different.

1. Phish -- Train Song -- A really short one by Phish, at just two and a half minutes. I really like the chorus of this one but not as big a fan of the verses. The cool thing about this song is it proves Phish can do shorter songs and try different things. If you do like this song the rest of the album is along the same kind of vein, very light and airy. I'll listen to this song on random once in a while but I don't usually go seeking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slFTgYP9IDA

2. String Cheese Incident -- Old Home Place -- Another Jam Band and another short one. This is in my top five favorite songs by SCI, this is the closest thing I have to country music that I actually really like. Of course it's still more jammy then country will ever be. It's a nice length and a nice song to get on random. I tend to forget about my love of String Cheese Incident until I get them on random.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0iMLvCfFM
Tony Rice doing the song

3. BT -- Knowledge of Self -- Over the summer I had a secret desire to get into techno, I was told Trance or House would be what I would like so I got a big amount of Techno. I ended up deleting most of it as I found I didn't like it. However BT was one artist which I kept, one because he records with other artists like Mike Doughty of Soul Coughing, but also because he's just one of the better artists when it comes to the genre. This one is decently enjoyable for the genre, and it's nice because there are some words to it as well, rapping mixed with techno seems like a perfect fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZQ1fUUn14

4. David Bowie -- Queen Bitch -- I got into this song because of The Life Aquatic and have just fallen in love with it. I have yet to really get into the rest of Bowie, but I hope to soon enough. This is a classic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cGG6aimgw

5. Propellerheads -- Bring Us Together -- I bought a Propellerheads album off of a recommendation but needed to get the remix done by them of super bon bon so I downloaded a full discography. This song is off some EP and it's incredibly repetitive and I'm thinking of deleting after I listen to it for the first time now. I probably will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdYhTsThP0

6. Lyrics Born -- Explosive -- Lyrics Born is pretty much my favorite rapper and so pretty much everything he does is excellent to me. He put out an album you can only get through his website called the Variety Show which is in my top 3 favorite rap albums. This song is a nice short quick rap song with some good licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=793EXCQ8zJc

7. Michael Jackson -- We Are Here To Change The World -- Oh man this song is rockin', I've never heard this one before. A good quick dance tune with Michael's trademark high voice hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztzi-OBU7lA

8. Jellyfish -- Bye Bye Bye -- I just picked this up from Patrick so this is the first time I've heard this song. This is my old audio teacher's favorite band. I'm really liking the elaborate nature of the song, it's complexities and it's light hearted nature. It makes me really wanna check more out of this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FqFaR2TCJw

9. Ozomatli -- Dejame En Paz -- This is one of my favorites from the band Ozomatli, it's a fast joyous type song. All in Spanish but it doesn't matter because you can tell they had so much fun making the song that it's just infectious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRbB7jVtBJU (Live Version)

10. Sasha -- Deep Progress -- Sasha is a techno fellow who put out an amazing album called Airdrawndagger which is the best techno album I've ever heard. A bunch of his stuff was included in the techno download I got and so this is from some underground disc. It sounds like his style, but this is also the first time I've ever heard this one. This one isn't all that great on first listen, I mean it's okay but not up to snuff on his other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_tXqjBidvA

1 comment:

Eli McCormick said...

It's pretty cool to see how different
(yet diverse!) our tastes are. That Bowie song is awesome!