Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hunter vs. Hunted in Utah Valley

I was talking with a friend of mine on the phone during lunch. She related to me how she hasn't been enjoying dating as a whole so far, she said she even had two guys both wanting to pursue a relationship with her and yet she didn't want either of them. It was even getting her down because she was being regularly asked on dates and yet she didn't enjoy it. Well in talking to her and having known her for a while, I thought about her personality and then I suddenly realized something, She's a hunter. In other words she enjoys being the aggressor or instigator. She however does not enjoy being the hunted, or the passive party. I asked her about all of her relationships and asked if she enjoyed any of them where the boy was pursuing her, she affirmed in the negative, and then asked when she was the hunter if she enjoyed it and she affirmed in the positive. So I told her to start actively asking guys on dates, forget about the stigma in Utah Valley that it's a man's job to do the asking, because you enjoy it when you're the one hunting. She started to get excited about dating again and is going to ask some guy in her ward.

So in Utah Valley as it seems to me among college aged kids is that, it's the male's job to ask girls on dates, and it's the girl's job to get asked on dates. It's the way of things here, and to do it another way is weird an not allowed. And you know, for I would say the majority of people in this valley that is the best way for it to happen. And why is that? Because a majority of males are the Hunters, and the majority of females are the hunted. But what about the rest of us, there seems to me to be a lot of guys whom would prefer being the hunted and a lot of girls whom would prefer to be the hunters. But each of these has run into someone of the opposite spectrum who said this is wrong. Well I say it isn't. I think we should each look at our actions, look at who we are and really figure out if we're a hunter or a hunted. And if you find you are a hunter ladies, go out an start asking guys on dates, sure you'll get rejected, but that's because you'll run into other hunters. It's the same with us guys, sometimes we give up because of failure, and maybe it's more so of a failure because we're asking girls out who really want to be the hunters.

Of course there is also the middle man, the guy or girl who likes both or can do both, it's these few people that can be happy with either, and so they're probably a bit luckier then the rest of us. So girls if you're finding you're not enjoying the dating scene, maybe you should be the Hunter. Guys, if you're finding you don't like the dating scene maybe it's time for you to try and be the hunted, it's bit harder to be the hunted as so many girls have pointed out, but the more girls that realize that it's not a bad thing to ask guys on dates the sooner you'll be able to find someone.

My roommate and his fiance are perfect examples of this. I've known him since the 6th grade and he is the epitomy of the hunted. His fiance, is a big time hunter. And now they're working out quite well.

As for me? I'm not too sure, I know when it comes to all the dates I've had so far that the overall best ones or the ones that I had the most fun were ones in which the girls asked me out. So maybe I like being a hunted much more, but I'm not too sure.

1 comment:

JB said...

Woah! Is it just that I've been reading you via feeder for too long and missed the big change, or is it recent? In any case, I like the new look.

Also, this is such an interesting post!! One of my good girlfriends is absolutely a hunter, but guys seemed. . .uncomfortable with her hunter-ness. She doesn't have much luck with Mormon boys, though a few non-Mormon guys like her--but she won't date them, because they're not Mormon. . .something of a conundrum.

It's funny, I've never thought of it this way, but I did prefer it when I practically had to throw myself at Lunkwill to get his attention over a few other guys I dated who were The Hunter in the relationship. I think Lunk and I take turns. I like to do a little of both. Maybe you do both, too? I could see you as more of a hunted though.