For those that know not what a Svithe is, I would recommend going here Thmazing's Blog. It's basically meaning a religious whatnot, so if you don't like them religious stuffs turn back now. I had been planning on writing one of these for a while but now I actually have a reason. So first off, in case you don't know I'm my singles ward's Gospel Doctrine Teacher. It feels really weird, because my last ward, there's no way they'd ever trust me enough to be in that kind of position, but this ward is a lot different. I fully expected when I went in for the interview for them to say something about my hair, but to my shock they asked me to be the Gospel Doctrine Teacher. This along with this other girl in the ward.
So onto my lesson, I started it off with something constant but through in a twist. I asked if anyone had read, one hand rose and I said, "Good, I was hoping none of you read so this will be as new to you as it was to me."
What we talked about was the Prophet Elijah in the new Testaments, specifically 1 Kings 17-18. The first story was about Elijah coming to the woman who was ready to die, the thoughts that came out of that one were how when you're in trouble in some way someone will come around and will be able to save you, you just have to be willing to become friends with them or what not. You never know who has gone through the same thing you have and can help. Also that even when prayers are answered it doesn't mean it's time to relax because you'll never know what could come up.
But overall I really liked the story in chapter 18. Elijah basically calls out Ahab and says "Your church is false. So bring all your priests to the mountain." So they do and Elijah gets up in verse 20 and basically says to all of the masses there, "Either choose Baal as God, or The Lord as God, stop sitting on the fence and make a decision." The people just sorta looked at him so they had a competition, he told the priests to build and alter and he would too, and they would call upon each God and whichever one was God would light a fire. So the 450 priests all got up and cut their bodies and tried to call upon their God, and could not. Then Elijah got up and called upon God and long story short God lit the fire. Pretty cool sign there. The interesting thing that was brought up though is we got into a discussion of how testimonies sometimes come through big signs but to keep them the small things need to happen. In Kings 19 Elijah is reminded of the still small voice, we couldn't get that far though which is too bad.
Anyways, I gotta go now so more to come later maybe. I do have the entire ward for the next three weeks. :)
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Exciting! Looking forward to these.
.
Me too!
Post a Comment