
You know, I wish the middle finger wasn't such a shocking thing in this town. It would be so much easier to get your point across if it didn't have such a wild meaning in this culture. Among my high school friends the middle finger is used for a very basic and good purpose. Basically to say, "shut up, you've gone too far." The gesture has then been noted by the recipient and the subject has been dropped, and we are all better people. So why can't it be that way here? When used here, the recipient's eyes widen and shock envelops their soul, and what is their thought? "Why is he sinning like that?" For instance, say someone gets a little too sacreligious and it really offends you, you can then flip the bird, and they understand that you've been offended. Instead in this culture, an explanation is required and then you never get your point across anyways. The finger has become a piece of fluff in this the society as a whole, it's just waved and doesn't have the psycho connotation it once held. You understand that you cut someone off, you'll get the finger, it's not really a big deal. Basically from what i'm saying is I wish I could use it in this culture because then it would be a lot easier to get people to stop talking shit. But instead, it riles them up even more. Blast it all, I need to move to Seattle.

1 comment:
I agree. The finger is a lovely device of telling people to shut the hell up. And Utah could use an enema... I mean... Um, they could lighten up. Yeah. That's it...
Post a Comment