Thursday, November 09, 2006

Supposing

Imagine if you will that you are both a democrat and a republican. You agree with most of what both parties believe in. So then you decide you want to find someone, you're looking around and all you can find are democrats and republicans. But yet you want to find someone who believes the same as you, both democrat and republican, they must be out there somewhere right? You keep looking and everyone you talk to has the same sort of response, "Oh yeah, I love republican what nots but I can't understand this democrat side." Or the other way around.

Now you're all sitting there thinking, what the heck? Of course not Thirdmango, that can't actually happen, and besides most of us know you're pretty democrat and not republican. Ah but that's not what I was talking about. Let's try something else.

Imagine if you will that you are a video game designer and you go to church one day and some guy gives a talk on the evils of video gaming, that it's a complete waste of time and anyone that does it is ruining their life. But suppose you decided that he was right, what would you do then? Quit your job and lose all your money? Now let's go back, suppose you believe in this church, but yet you really enjoy your job but what everyone seems to be saying you're living the life of a hypoctire, yet you know that you're not. But you still value the opinions of others. What would you do?

Now sure, this also isn't me, and now you're wondering what I'm getting at. But this one is closer to something that has actually happened to me. Sort of. But they're both related scenarios to my life. Know what it is? Don't? Then keep trying to figure it out cause that's all I'm saying on the subject for now.

3 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Good comments, good thoughts, though not what I was getting at at all. But of course I was being very vague. Both analogies that I gave were not intended to be literal, but to hint at a much different point of which I'm sure I'll get into later, but not now. :)

Yarjka said...

I have to agree with Patrick on this one. If there are conflicting views, then someone is wrong (or both are wrong). However, I know that the church has put up with gambling in Las Vegas through necessity, allowing members to work in gambling establishments. Similarly, in cities where the major businesses are beer companies or tobacco companies, there are members that obtain employment at such facilities and feel justified. There are also members who would rather look for different jobs and feel blessed for taking a stand. It's all a matter of opinion. If someone says that 'activity x' is bad, that's his opinion. He has no authority to state whether that activity is actually bad or not for you, because he has a different set of circumstances than you do. He can, however, explain his position and urge you to agree.

And as far as your actual problem is concerned: I don't care, you vague bastard!

Anonymous said...

3M, the real question here is do you feel what you are doing is wrong - all other opinions put aside? It doesn't matter what other people are telling you, what matters is how it makes you feel inside when you are doing it. If you are feeling guilt, more than likely, it isn't something that you want to participate in, but if you are changing your way of living just because you want to please society, then then I consider you a follower who doesnt really know what he wants. To be an individual is a rare gift. Don't conform just because you want to feel accepted. Remember what your morals are though, and don't stray from them just because you may want to go the opposite extreme to prove a point. I know this is all really vague, but I hope that it helps. Good luck!