Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Summer of Concerts

Here are the following concerts I want to go to this summer. If any of these interest any of you let me know. If no one comes with me I'll still probably go to each of these so it's no big deal.

This friday String Cheese Incident with Bob Weir and Ratdog is playing at Great Salt Air in SLC. I was already planning on going up earlier in the day to see the movie "Lady Vengance" so maybe I'll stay there and go to the concert. Though I didn't know about it until now I may not just cause it's not enough time to prepare. I have seen SCI twice and have really enjoyed them and would love to see them again as it has been a number of years. I haven't yet seen Ratdog or Weir.

Then the next friday 7/7/06 Blues Traveler is playing at the Suede in Park City which is a very good venue. I haven't yet seen Blues Traveler and I understand John Popper is absoultly phenomanol live.

4 days later 7/11/06 (Tuesday) Particle and Ozric Tentacles are playing at The Depot in SLC. Particle is a really good mix of electronics and jamming which really makes me want to see them live. I haven't ever heard of Ozric Tentacles but I love hearing new stuff.

Paul Oakenfold plays the next night (7/12/06) in SLC at In The Venue, I probably won't make it to this one unless others want to go. I'd really like to try out such a blatgant dance party atmosphere with such a dancy DJ. It would be a really interesting experience.

One Week later (7/19/06) Rusted Root goes to The Depot in SLC playing with Zox. This is another I would probably only go to if I went with friends. I enjoy Rusted Root but maybe not enough to see them in concert, plus I've never heard of Zox.

Edit: (7/22/06) Saturday. My friend Pat has expressed interest in heading down to Las Vegas to see Steely Dan. It's more likely I'll go to this one if I'm not driving. But still this one could get expensive and drop out a good number of the rest.

(7/24/06) The Monday after Rusted Root, we've got three very interesting bands that I've heard a lot of good about but haven't listened to too much of their music. Them being Panic at the Disco!, Dresden Dolls, and The Hush Sound. All playing at In The Venue in SLC. I may have to try borrowing a copy of Panic from Petra or Optimistic to see how they are and see if I want to try my luck at this one.

(7/27/06) This one is the thursday after and one of my absolute favorite bands of all time is coming to In The Venue in SLC, and which band is that? Ween. Oh man I love Ween. I've only seen them once before and though it was amazing they weren't able to play for long because production value of the festival was very low. I am definatly excited to see if I can make it out for this one, though I won't be able to have Joe with me for this one which is a sad day, and I would assume I won't be able to convince any of my other friends to go see them so I'm pretty sure this one I'll be going at it alone.

A very compelling concert is one on 8/6/06 which is a sunday night, and that is Herbie Hancock at the Red Butte Garden Amphitheater in SLC. I don't think I will make it to this one unless I can get friends to go, but it would be gauranteed to see such a renowned Jazz artist live to be an amazing experience. As one of my favorite Jazz artists I think this one would be really cool to see.

8/8/06 has Death Cab For Cutie coming to UVSC. I don't think I will make it to this one as I'm not a big fan of Death Cab though I really enjoy Postal Service. I might go if someone convinces me to go with them, so if you're looking for someone to go with you cause you do want to make it I would be willing to go at that point.

8/16/06! (Wednesday) This one is the first of my three gauranteed concerts of the summer. I will definatly go no matter what. It's going to be Mars Volta playing with Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Delta Center in SLC. Now most people will probably be going for RHCP however I am going mainly for Mars Volta, as one of my top five favorite bands I've discovered in the past year I can not wait to see these guys play. They are so incredibly inventive and play things you will not hear out of any other band. I'm sure RHCP will headline the show so I'll make sure to be there early for Mars Volta, and I'm sure RHCP will also put on a good show. I'm sure this one I'll be able to get the most people to say that want to go so let me know.

8/18/06! (Friday) The second of my three gauranteed concerts of the summer. Galactic will be playing at Harry O's in Park City. Galactic is officially my favorite band to see in concert and is also the band I've seen the most in concert as I'm currently at three times. Their best concert was the summer of 05 when they had a free concert in the middle of SLC. It was such a good concert that they begged the venue if they could play another half an hour. The first set wasn't all that great but it was enough to filter out enough people to keep the hardcore fans. Joe has already confirmed his desire to come to this one, so I have at least one with me. Which does remind me that i need to call Nick.

(reminder to self: Call Nick)

8/22/06 (Tuesday) Ben Harper and Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley at USANA in West Valley. This one would be a very fun one to go to, and I imagine I could get people to come with me. Though by this time I may become concerted out and not have as much money as I thought up to this point.

8/27/06 (Sunday) Wolf Parade at In The Venue in SLC. I just found out about Wolf Parade maybe 4 days ago and have liked what I've heard so far, so depending on the price and the time I have is whether I go to this one.

8/30/06 (Wednesday)) Dave Matthews Band with Robert Randolph and The Family Band. Being as how I've been a fan of DMB for a very long time this one would be a good concert to go to, also being as how i've heard good things about Rob as well. But being as how DMB is very well known I imagine this one to be just too expensive.

9/11/06 (Monday) The third of my three gauranteed concerts of the summer features Jurassic 5 and X-Clan at The Depot in SLC. It's been a long standing dream of mine to see J5 in concert and here's my chance to do so. I haven't heard of X-Clan but I'm sure I'll know more about them soon.

And that is it. Honorable mentions could also go to Warped Tour which is at some point and might be fun to go to, but the rest are a bit more pressing to go to. So as I've said before if anyone that reads this finds one of these that they would like to go to as well let me know.

2 comments:

Yarjka said...

Am I buying my own ticket to Galactic, or are you planning on getting two and I'll pay you back? Also, I'd love to go to warped tour this year. It's a little far to travel without a car out here (although I still might be able to go if Nick's little bro wants to). I've heard a number of bands that will be playing, and they're all pretty good. Besides, Warped Tour is known for being awesome.
Jurassic 5 I might want to see. It'll be schooltime then, and I may be busy....but it's very possible.
By the way, I'm seeing Phish in the movie theater in July.

Anonymous said...

Jon! I see your ambitious list for the summer, and must comment. First, Panic and the Disco! is absolastically fantabulute. Seriously. Contact me, and I can send you some music or something. I have internet at my apartment now, and though I have to pay up the butt for it I can do lots more fun things now. Also, I'll definitely be going to the RHCP concert and the Ben Harper/Damian Marley concert in August. Damian is my favorite of all the Marley sons, and the Ben Harper part just goes without saying.
Anyway, that's it for now.