Thursday, April 23, 2009

Free Chair

I had an interesting day today. I sometimes get to the point where I want each day to matter for something. I know something big is coming up and so I'll have something to work towards. Even on other days I have a new friendship I want to try out and see if it'll work or and old friend to rekindle with. But sometimes there are days where nothing of note happens. Today started out as one of those days and boy howdy I was not happy about it. I had made a somewhat costly mistake the night before which had caused me to need to stay up extra late to get it fixed. Luckily it was fixed but by the time I woke up the next morning the whole day had been shot. So I thought I would at least try and find a friend to have fun with, but all of them seemed to be busy with something or I had felt like I had overstayed my welcome by hanging out with other's too often so I was at a loss of what to do. I drove around for a while hoping something would come up and nothing did. So I parked and I felt like walking. I walked for nearly an hour just thinking about life and how it was hard having days like that day where you really are out of control and you can't find anything of which to put forth any effort into.

But then on my walk I spotted something which gave me a great idea. It was a single chair next to a dumpster and it had a piece of paper taped to it with the word "Free" on it. I moved the chair to a corner near by and I sat down in the chair and I read a book. It was nice, the air was tasty and the temp was cool. I finished the book and a friend of mine was walking past. I got to meet their family and then I met up with another friend who's getting married soon. I pulled out my computer and decided to get some writing done. I wrote two screenplays and came up with some ideas for others I want to do. I wrote on facebook and gmail that I was sitting on the corner and that people should come and visit. Soon three of my good friends were there and we were just chatting on the corner as I sat in the free chair. When we felt like we were done I got up and left the chair there and we walked back and had good conversations before I came home for the night.

It was so nice because I had been pissed and stressed about not having anything productive and fulfilling to do and with the help of a free chair, and random wandering about I had found plenty of things to do and found that I could lure friends out to random corners just to see a free chair that I was sitting in and have some good conversation with friends. And that is the story of the free chair. I'm thinking if I have time tomorrow I might go back and see if it's there and read another book. It was a good chair.

4 comments:

krebscout said...

I like this story

G.C.C. said...

This story is indeed amazing. On a related note, it is depressing the number of mediocre days I must pass through in life.

Th. said...

.

Ah, what a halcyon (yet urban!) life you lead.

Shinobi said...

so, was the chair there the next day?