Thanks by the way for all the well wishes, my ribs are feeling better though I still can't sleep on my left side.
So Tuesday and Wednesday were both interesting days for me. Both of which I had three invites to possible things to go to, all at the same time. So tuesday, I was trying to decide what to go to, three possiblities, all of which I wanted to go to about equal, so which did I choose? Well I decided to take a nap at about 6 pm, I set my alarm for 7 pm at which point I'd decide. Nope, slept through my alarm and didn't wake up until 6 am the next morning. Whoops.
So Wednesday, again, three things I got invited to, three things I wanted to go to, this time I did make a desicion and it was to go the open mic night at the Tower Theater in Salt Lake, it was a bunch of film makers showing off their stuff for the open mic. What I learned was that there are a couple of talented film makers in this area, all of whom could really use a good writer. I also learned there are a lot of really bad film makers, all of whom could use a good writer. And there are a lot of pretentious film makers, all of whom could use a good writer. There was one especially bad film which all my friends think is something they made 20 years ago and decided to show it at this thing, but I still think it was 3 pretentious indie girls who decided they wanted to say something. Even though you couldn't hear a word they said. So lesson learned, if you're going to be a film maker, please, get a good writer.
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
On the whole, I agree with you: these filmmakers could use better writers. It really underscores the importance of having good material to work from. Too many felt like filmmaking for the sake of filmmaking. There was some stylistically sound stuff that simply lacked potency because it was all exercise. That said, I found a few of the pieces to be well enough written. A couple of comedies, anyway.
And the one with the three girls on VHS? Everyone's wrong. They didn't make it twenty years ago, they made it two nights ago. They thought it would be fun. And I guess they had fun. They won at any rate. They succeeded in making us watch it.
Eli's a good writer, make him do it.
Not to devalue Eli by any means, but we do have several very good writers in our circle.
True, but writing sounds like work, and I think it must needs be that Eli is burdened with the work of us all. Sort of a sacrificial lamb type thing, Eli being the firstborn male among us who is without blemish (facial hair = blemish, don't y'know).
Time to grow beard I guess.
Post a Comment