In teaching high school I reminise of my times spent in high school. Many moments were had back then when we were younger, more innocent. When we watched Cartoon Network and told people that we watched it instead of the news. Of days past when it was fun during lunch to go out on a barren side of the high school, and make music by falling into the wall and burping out the sounds. I remember back to ninth grade when every lunch period I would eat lunch then head out to the field and learn my love for Ultimate Frisbee. I think back to senior year, when at lunch time we had been at the same table our entire time there, we had stolen it away our freshman year and we had a good 15 to 20 people that ate there every week. So we decided to have "Lunch Table Survivor" where each day one person was voted off. I made it to the final four, however in the end it was between Steve Morrison and Craig Walker, and when the vote had come in, Steve took the cake. I remember the days when the Contras went on their first mission and won, but when going to their second mission at BYU all died. Or when the Merry Mice was created and the ultimate ooh-eee-ooh was made. I remember to the times in which we would hike to secluded spots and become monks. Meditating and thinking on life. The days in which the Bent Sword was originally formed, and Stephen and Mamoth went on their first adventure. Or even of such smaller things as AB, JJ Ball, and Golf Ball Races.
In thinking of these smaller stories in which need no story, I will now include some which do need story. These may not be as accurate as history records them, they are just how my memory remembers them.
It was a day like any other day in Suburban Provania. The collective "we" were famished and ready to take on a new assignment. We all sulked in Steve's basement, when I forget who but I will assume it was Steve who came up with the brilliant plan. "Hey guys! Let's dig a hole to China!" It was just the task we were all looking for. We got some shovels out of Steve's garage and headed up the hill and into some trees and began digging to our heart's content. Of course after that first day of digging we didn't make it to China, in fact we barely made a dent. However that is not the end to my story. This day in which we began digging to the best of my knowledge was sometime in the eighth grade. Well we came back another day that week and dug again. Now most 8th graders would give up by this point, yet we had more childish minds, they were clearer then most and more full of the joy of going to China. Summer past us by and still digging was an option we used on occasion. Ninth Grade, then Tenth pased us by and still on random days we would dig. Eleventh and then Twelveth. It was half way through our senior year that we finally decided our project to be finished, though it wasn't a hole to China, instead it was much more. It was the Party Hole (aka Weedman's Disco Palace). 10 feet deep and about 10 feet wide on both sides. A floor, a couch, a microwave, a lamp. Extension cords going out to the house, a ladder and even a roof and a door. It was the perfect place to go and relax and be one step closer to China. As far as is known it is still there, however it is completley full of spiders and webs and very scary now. But someday it will be cleaned out and we will have joy in our hole.
More to come later... (Alas I was not able to write more as class started again, however I will come back and make another post with more grand stories of days past.)
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Full of the joy of going to China, eh? Sounds awesome. I loved your comment about watching Cartoon Network. Ah, the good ole days...
I just wanted to thank you for the CD--I'm pretty much a huge fan. Thank you SO much!!
Smile! You are awesome.
That is the most incredible thing I have ever heard.
Post a Comment