My junior year of high school I was in a drama competition. I was doing a Pantomime. For those that don't know what this is, it's basically miming but to tell a story, so think of telling a story to your friend but you can't use any words. So that year was my best year, I had come up with one where I was a car theif and that I got beaten up by a police officer and then I retailiated and beat him up. Well I went to the finals that year and was up against some good competition, I ended up getting third place. The pantomime that recieved first place was done by a gymnast and it was called, "One small step for man, the astronaut." It was really cool, but also I was pissed cause she did all these gymnast moves like standing on her chair with her arms, to make her look weightless. It was weird. Well the second place finisher was the same premise, it was someone in space and going to the moon. Then I got third.
This morning I was a judge for the Utah state competition. It was really a lot of fun, my first round was classic scenes and this scene that was from The Death of the Duke of York by Shakespeare was portrayed and it was amazing! It ended up getting first in the whole competition which was very fitting. Well the second round I did was Pantomime, and at the beginning of each round you're supposed to get the title and author of the piece, well usually in pantomime the kids make up their own, so I said, if you're the author you don't need to tell me. Well this little slender girl says, "One Small Step For Man, The Astronaut." I looked at her and said, "are you the author?" and she said, "No, it's been going through my school for years." I wanted to give it last out of spite but I knew I couldn't. Luckily there were two that were much better then her's so I could give her third. I did feel a little retrobution but also felt sorta bad that she got me as a judge.
Freda who was also judging, and I went to the finals round for Pantomime and Humours Monolouge. The two that I gave first and second place were there as was the first really good dramatic pantomime that I've ever seen. It was a very bittersweet one about a statue. It was really good.
Still it was really surreal for me today to have judged a pantomime that beat me six years ago. Weird.
Sunday, April 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I hated how the dancers always won the pantomimes. Like, THEY'RE NOT PANTOMIMING. They're DANCING. Dancing without music is NOT pantomime. It's not. It's not acting at all.
And yet they always won . . .
hey-
just wanted to let you know that my new blog address is berkeleykalypso.blogspot.com
Hope all is well!
.
Congratulations on being a good person!
Meet you tomorrow!
Congrats for not giving her last.
I think I would have had trouble not doing that if the same prose piece that I lost to my senior year had come across my path.
Post a Comment