Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Beach

I still do poetry every now and again, usually I don't share it, but I pounded this one out today and I like it. It's called "The Beach"

I look out into the ocean, at about noon or so.
I'm not sure if it's raining or it's just the wind blowing the water on my face.
I am alone on the beach.
I'm standing and yet I wish I were swimming,
it's not that I can't swim, it's that I don't know how.
People have told me how to swim, and oh boy have I tried, but when it comes down to it, the water keeps pushing me out. Walking, Running, Sprinting, even crawling

Always I end up back on the beach

So I turn around, and I try to leave the beach, I reach the sidewalk
my foot is inches away

*poof*

Facing the ocean, water in my face.
I decided to make a home on the beach.
I built the biggest sandcastle that there could be.
Since I can't go ahead and I can't fall behind I must stay inside.
But I didn't account for the tide, and my house is left in shambles.
Sand becomes one again with the beach.
And so I start to swim. I feel the water on all sides.
And I love it.

I love the water.

I want to stay with it, but the waves keep pushing me back to the beach.

Men walk past me, they tell me of times they knew to swim when the sea was calm but passed it up. I look to the ocean and find it calm, so I run as fast as I can and when I hit the water.

Wavvvvvvves.

A bottle washes ashore. Message inside, "On awesome island, wish you were here." Handwriting familiar yet distant.

So I try and I try and I try like waves crashing on the beach. Always ahead into them. Hoping one day I will make it past and towards the island.

*Poof*

1 comment:

just a little bit mo said...

I like it. You should post more of your poetry.