Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Future

The past couple days have been interesting ones. In fact they've been a couple of life changing days. Because of this I've felt about ten times happier then usual. You know, it feels so much better when instead of having something be up in the air, you actually know when it's going to happen, well I now know when something is going to happen. Sure it's still up in the air as to the exact date but I will say this.

Sometime next summer I am moving out of Utah.

It's been decided and I am super happy about it. I've been wanting to leave the state for years and the only things keeping me have been school and friends (to a lesser degree). But my free tuition stops working in august of next year, and I could continue going to UVSC and finish my schooling there paying a bunch of money, or I could go somewhere else and get on with my life and finish my schooling elsewhere. So I've started school shopping.

Many of you might look at this and think, "But Utah is a great state, you're family and friends are here, why would you want to leave?" and to those that did think that I would say, "It seems you don't know me as well as you think you did". Here's why, I'm someone who loves change. I love new experiences and I love being outside of my comfort zone. I've lived in this general area since I was six. Minus the mission I've basically been here the whole time, and because I've been here so long I feel stagnant. The only thing that is new for me is I can meet new people, but that's about it. I've been wishing for a chance to move that wouldn't hinder my progress in some way, and I finally found a way to do so.

So now what am I looking for? I'm looking for places with a large group of LDS singles. But not just that, I'm looking for schools which have the major and minor I want, I'm also looking for places in which I can handle the weather, in other words anywhere north of Utah. I'm also looking for a big city, and preferably I'd like to live near the ocean. I also want to live somewhere in which I can go to a large variety of cultural events by driving in any direction. So I've been thinking of two places in specific. Boston and Philidelphia. Seattle has been thought about too, but for other reasons of which I can't speak of yet, I'm thinking east coast would be better.

So now for my plan. I'm going to take classes fall and winter, ones I need for my major, and ones I know I'll get good grades in. Then, choose a bunch of schools and apply for a transfer and if i get in to one of them, go there. Overall I know I'll be happier elsewhere then if I stay in Utah, I've talked to a bunch of people close to me including my parents and they all agree that i would be happier elsewhere. So to my friends, we need to hang out more cause I just have year left and then I'm outta Utah for good.

In similar news, I was talking to my mom and she decided to tell me about my dating life. You didn't read that wrong. It was weird but she knew all my misgivings and all my thoughts on dating and she described to me the kind of person I should be looking for and it made complete and total sense, and I realized I hadn't been looking for that type of person all that much. It was actually invigorating hearing it cause i knew that's the kind of person I'm attracted to, she also said there really are very few girls like that in Utah Valley or even in the rest of Utah, and that I would probably be able to find someone who matched that criteria, out of state.

Overall it was a very good talk I had with my mother, who knows me better then I know myself. And I've become excited again for what's to come, the past couple days I've been getting excited about the future again, because now it's less then a year away. And I suspect i'll be happier overall.

6 comments:

Soren said...

Yes, yes, come to Philadelphia ...

Boston is also an acceptable choice (it was tops in my mind while reading your criteria). But don't scratch out all the other smaller East Coast cities. Providence is nice, and even Baltimore isn't bad. I'm not too keen on New Haven, though the rest of Connecticut is great.

SkyBluePink said...

Eww, don't pick CT. There aren't enough LDS kids there to play with, trust me.

Try for Boston...and Emerson College. It is a good fit for you, in my opinion...

Laulau said...

I'm excited for you! It's a big step, though, good luck! I'm thinking of moving out too, next April.

just a little bit mo said...

Oooh . . . school shopping. East coast. Very posh of you. Yay for moms who know us better than we know ourselves!

Berkeley G. said...

Boston, huh? Good idea. You will be close to New Jersey, then. If you are still blogging when I move, we will have to hang out and go see movies like you said. I'm glad you liked Knocked Up! I loved it!

I think it's great that you and your mom can talk about things like that. I would love to have a parent I could do that with. Glad you are happier and have a good weekend! :)

Th. said...

.

Sounds like LA to me.