Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ever Ever Ever

So my ward's FHE people had the brilliant idea to have every FHE group make a movie and they gave us all like 3 to 4 weeks to do it. Now I was immidiatly opposed to this. Why? Because it would be dumped on me no matter what and really, when I do a movie, I'd like to choose who I work with and what project to work with. Well of course when I go to FHE they all turn to me and say, you're the film major you're doing it. I didn't volunteer, I wasn't even asked. I was given and made to do it. Well when I finally came up with something that the group might like and I wouldn't mind doing I presented it to them and they said okay. So then I over two nights of FHE did the quickest shoot I've ever done. Usually you take 3 to 4 shots of each scene, I only took one and didn't really care if someone was talking in the background. So once I've got everything I'm ready to put it on to my computer and have plenty of time to spare. So right as I'm rewinding it to capture it onto my computer my camera stops working. So I have to wait two days to get it fixed, so now apparently they were due last week or something but they've given me until today because of my camera troubles. So I finally get it on my computer and find that for some reason the audio and video are twenty seconds apart. So any time I needed anything, I would have to put it out, seperate 20 seconds, crop it, and then fit it in. Well I started working on it at midnight and I just now finished it at 6:30 am. You'd think I'd be fine with this too, however...

I got sick over the weekend, and usually when someone gets sick they get onto a bad schedule, well as it happens, I ended up on a good schedule. So the past two days I've been waking up at about this time. So I've now been up for a little over 24 hours. Plus the fact that I have my final project for film which I needed to do much more then this one so I could send it to my friend in Indiana to do the music before Friday.

So yes, it's finally done, definatly not my best piece of work, not something I would go around showing to people all the time, it has a funny thing or two. Definatly a BYU movie (which is exactly what I want to steer away from). Luckily they didn't make me do some Napoleon Dynamite Parody like one of the groups in the ward. If so I would have hoped to die in a hotel fire.

Now that it's done I can officially say I will never ever help out with another FHE movie again, in fact this has solidified me in wanting to no longer go to FHE ever ever ever.

8 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

I must say I liked the conclusion of this post. But I think you should call it "For the Birds."

Anonymous said...

Not wanting to go to fhe is fine and all, untill they call you to be fhe dad. Yes, it will happen the moment you decide that you don't want to go.

emily said...

Just because you have an FHE calling doesn't mean you can't decide to stop going a month or so into it. This, um, friend of mine, did that once...

Th. said...

.

You should have gone all Ed Wood on them and considered the accidental 20 second disconnect an integral part of the artistry. Certinaly would have made it all easier.

Unknown said...

I stopped going to FHE about the same time as they announced that we were all to make a movie. The movie was due last week; this previous Monday was the first time in two months that I've made any sort of effort to attend. Curious.

BlueAdagio said...

First can I say that I love FHE. I always have...my family made it fun. My student wards have done an okay job at it too. And honestly I get peeved if nothing gets planned my FHE group leaders so I step in and make sure something happens. This is probably why I got stuck with the movie.

Secondly, I can feel your pain. I stayed up to 5 am Tuesday night trying to get the movie ready to turn in on Wednesday. When I initially heard the idea of making a movie I immediately got sick to my stomach cause I knew it would drive me crazy. I promised myself I would not be helping, directing, or taking lead...but alas after a couple weeks of nothing happening and a few FHE group meetings to discuss a wide variety of completely undoable ideas (and owning the sole video camera) I took control and made things happen.

Oh cures this freakish orderly nature of mine!

After some time I tried to pan off some of the responsibility to others in my group but they said such nice things as, “You are doing such a wonderful job and we appreciate you so very much.” Which translates directly into, “We have lives and no time to deal with such a heinous hassle that we would much prefer that you spend any free time that you may or may not have…I mean you were sick and missed a month of school and are still catching up on homework and projects and your grades are all in jeopardy, but you will find the time…and not only that, but when we view it later on we will tell you all kinds of stuff we want you to change because it’s just not quite what we were envisioning…and you will do it because you don’t want to disappoint us because we think you are doing such a wonderful job and we appreciate you so very much *cheesy grin goes here* or least that’s what we will tell you to your face.”

And none of this will make me bitter.

Snow Whiteley said...

Every year at BYU I would suddenly be conspicuously absent from FHE at a certain time in the semester. Hmmmm... I wonder why that could be.

I'd much rather watch than act. Or shoot. Or any thing else. Although I must admit that I (or my hand) had a part in a lovely film known as Dinohand 2. The things we do for art. And nice and cute boys.

Saule Cogneur said...

Oh FHE, the stories repeat themselves. I make a habit of going once a semester. That way I can speak from knowledge when I tell people it's not a program of the church that I support (in singles wards).